Compare prices and save with the highest quality and best value Defensive Driving Course!
as of June 2012
|Provider ||Fee ||Audio ||State Fees+ Processing ||Same Day Certificate ||Print Certificate ||Total |
|Idrivesafely.com ||$49.00 ||$9.95 ||NA ||$9.95 ||NA ||$68.90 |
|American Safety Institute ||$49.00 ||Included ||NA ||NA ||Included ||$49.00 |
|Trafficschoolonline.com ||$44.95 ||Included ||NA ||NA ||NA ||$44.95 |
|National Safety Council ||$34.95 ||Included ||Included ||Included ||Included |
About the Course
Defensive driving is easier and more economical because the National Safety Council and SafetyServe.com have developed an updated online defensive driving course for New Jersey based on proven content from the prestigious National Safety Council. Since 1964 more than 68 million drivers have learned to protect themselves and their families with courses featuring the most comprehensive, in-depth driver training curriculum based on the instructor-led courses from the NSC. If you are interested in NSC classroom training please click here.
The Defensive Driving Course uses state-of-the-art animation, sound and graphics in an engaging, interactive learning environment where students analyze real driving situations, spot driving hazards and identify and execute the correct defenses. The defensive driving course covers strategies and tactics to reduce the chance of collisions, how drugs, alcohol, distractions, emotions, fatigue and conditions affect driving decisions, the physical forces involved in a collision, the importance of occupant safety devices like seat belts and child seats and how to use them correctly.
The convenient bookmark feature offers the ability to log in and out of the course as often as you like to accommodate your schedule. The goal of the defensive driving course is to train drivers in collision prevention techniques while promoting an attitude of mutual understanding, courtesy and cooperation on the road. The National Safety Council, founded in 1913, is the most trusted and respected safety education provider the world.
Upon completion of the course SafetyServe.com will transmit results to New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Commission. You will also be able to print a copy immediately at no charge—National Safety Council is New Jersey’s only approved provider to offer this free service!
Course Outline: Introduction and Pre TestSession 1: Get Defensive About It
Session 2: Making Driving Choices
- Recognize the need for and benefits of defensive driving.
- Identify risky driving attitudes and behaviors.
- Explain what it means to be a defensive driver.
- Recognize that defensive driving involves both legal and personal responsibilities.
- Determine if a collision was preventable or non-preventable.
- List the three basic steps in the Defensive Driving Course Collision Prevention Formula.
Session 3: What Conditions Drive You?
- Identify the personal benefits of using occupant protection devices.
- Explain the effects of alcohol and other drugs on driving ability.
- Identify physical and mental driver conditions that may affect driving abilities.
- List techniques you can use to maintain control in adverse driving situations.
Session4: The Choice Is Yours
- Conduct an exterior and interior vehicle check before driving.
- Identify five uncontrollable driving conditions that contribute to collisions.
- Identify the driving hazards associated with these driving conditions in time to avoid them.
- List defensive driving maneuvers that help drivers maintain control for each uncontrollable driving condition.
Session 5: What are you willing to do?
- List the six most common types of driving errors that contribute to collisions.
- Identify the reasons drivers chose to speed.
- List alternatives to speeding.
- Explain how to safely approach and proceed through all intersections.
- Explain how to make safe and legal turns.
- Identify the hazards involved in passing.
- Explain how to evaluate a potential passing situation.
- Explain the three steps needed to complete a safe pass.
- Explain how to avoid a head-on collision.
- Determine safe following distance.
- Choose the appropriate defensive driving strategy to avoid a collision in any given driving situation.
- Identify personal behaviors and decisions you will make in future driving situations to avoid collisions and violations.